Over the last week a large number of Gmail users have been scouring the Internet to find an Inbox invitation. In fact, there have been almost 1000 comments on my Where Can I Get an Inbox Invite article that was published on Friday, October 24th, 2014. I received my invite on that Friday but have been unable to invite any friends. From what I understand, Google is slowly rolling out invites to users that have access to Google Inbox.
With Google being so slow to offer Inbox invitations it comes as no surprise that some have found a work around to allow their friends to access and use Inbox. Please note that the following methods should only be used with those you trust with your email address and vice versa. You will have to give them access to your email account which is very personal for most. Without further ado, here are the ways in which you can access Google Inbox without receiving an invite:
On your phone
- Download and install Google’s Inbox from Google Play or Apple’s App Store on your phone (the Chrome app won’t work for this)
- Add your friend’s account to your phone (For Android, head to Settings —> Accounts; for iOS, use another Google app).
- Fire up Inbox and sign in with your friend’s account.
- Inside Inbox, open the left-side panel and tap “Manage Accounts.” Slide the switch for your account to “on.” You can also choose “Add account” for additional account.
- Delete your friend’s account from your phone (For Android, head to Settings —> Accounts; for iOS, go to the “Manage Accounts” screen in any Google app).
On your friend’s phone
- Have your friend add your account to their phone (For Android, head to Settings —> Accounts; for iOS, use another Google app).
- Have them fire up Inbox and sign in with their account by opening the left-side panel and tapping your account.
Download and install Google’s Inbox from Google Play or Apple’s App Store on your phone (the Chrome app won’t work for this).
- Sign in to Inbox with your account on your phone.
- Have your friend delete your account from their phone (For Android, head to Settings => Accounts; for iOS, go to the “Manage Accounts” screen in any Google app).
As of October 28th, 2014 this still works. I would imagine that the Gmail team has been made aware of this and will likely adjust the ability to complete the work around. Please feel free to comment below to let me know if this method still works. If it does not work, I would also be open to hearing other ways you have accessed Google Inbox without receiving an invite. If you have received an invite and you are looking to invite others post your contact information below as there are thousands that are looking to get an invite as soon as possible.