UPDATE: Google Plus Chat is moving to Google+ on January 21st. The community we will use is located here. It will work the exact same way. I will ask a question every five minutes for 30 minutes and users will be able to answer. It is up to you as to how you would like to answer. You can simply respond with a comment to my post or you can put up a brand new post within the community. To get this truly active it will be great if some users can share the questions to other communities and to their main stream.
Since April 2nd, 2013 every Tuesday afternoon at 2:00 pm est the Google Plus Chat Twitter chat has taken place. When looking to enjoy in this free for all simply use the hashtag #GooglePlusChat. If you are new to Twitter and you do not use Hootsuite or Tweetdeck I would strongly suggest using #TWUBS or you can just click this link. If you are on desktop you can always use the Twitter search and search for #GooglePlusChat but this is often a bit obtrusive and clunky. Most experienced Google Plus Chatters agree that #TWUBS is the best client available for free. We initially started with TweetChat but that no longer works for what we are doing.
Questions/Discussion for February 4th, 2014
- What is your most engaging Google+ post in terms of +1s?
- What is the most engaging Google+ in terms of shares?
- How do you increase engagement? Infographics? Photos?
- Do you use communities to share your posts?
- Do specific communities spur more engagement?
- What is the biggest struggle with it comes to getting more engagement on Google+?
This week is all about engagement. When using any social network we want to get more likes, +1s, shares, followers, etc. This conversation will help Google+ users research and find ways to get more interaction on their posts. If you find something works better than something else please feel free to let us know. A valuable resources for those looking to increase engagement on Google Plus is this: How to Share Animated Gifs on Google Plus.
Questions/Discussion for January 28th, 2014
- Do you use Google+ communities? How long have you used them for personal or business desires?
- What are the communities in which you are most active? Please feel free to share links.
- What communities do you own?
- Have you found certain communities work better than others? If so, which types?
- How do you grow your communities?
- What is the absolute best community on Google+?
This week we are, obviously, discussing communities. Feel free to share some of your favorite communities. You can even create a new Google+ post within the Google Plus Chat Twitter Chat sharing your community if you so desire. Invite friends with the plus mention and have fun! Those that joined this Twitter chat may want to know more about Google Plus SEO Value vs Facebook.
Questions/Discussion for January 21st, 2014
- This is our first week strictly on Google+, do you like it better? Any suggestions?
- How did you find out about #googlepluschat?
- How long have you participated in #googlepluschat?
- What types of questions and discussions do you prefer?
- Have you used Communities to do a “chat” type conversation?
- What are your big plans for this week?
Remember, today is the first day we are going to use the Google Plus Chat community on Google+ to host the event. Twubs and Tweetchat are broken and it is just too hard to get users to the chat on Twitter when nothing works. Please join us at 2:00 pm est on Google+ at this community.
Questions/Discussion for January 14th, 2014
Today’s Google Plus Chat will be hosted by Michael Bennett at this Twitter account.
- What are your hobbies?
- How do you bring social media into your hobbies and side projects?
- How could social media help you monetize your hobby?
- Do you have a separate page for your hobby/side project?
- What can Google do to make it easier to connect with other hobbyists?
- What are the best niche communities you have seen so far? (Share them please)
Today we are going to talk about what you like doing on the side, what hobbies you might enjoy and how those tie into social media and G+. We all spend a good deal of time on social networks, some more so than others. I wanted to take this week to discuss how a person can take a hobby they love a or side project they have and utilize social to help gain exposure.
Questions/Discussion for January 7th, 2014
- What did you do over the holidays?
- What are your January 2014 plans/how did you prepare?
- Are you sharing more content via social media in 2014?
- What social media resource is the best for sharing content?
- How much content do you share on a weekly basis?
- Do you prefer to share photos, videos, articles or audio files?
The first Google Plus Chat of 2014 is all about content. Content has been king in the eyes of all search engines for quite some time. A content marketing and creation strategy is imperative for almost all businesses large and small. We will discuss 2014 plans to create content and where to share it. This should be a fun Google Plus Twitter Chat so join us at 2:00 pm est on Twitter using the hashtag #googlepluschat.
Questions/Discussion for December 17th, 2013
- How long have you been active on Twitter?
- Do you use Twitter for pleasure or business? Or pain?
- Do you auto post to Twitter? Do you post Google+ Posts?
- How do you use Twitter to supplement Google+?
- Mention some active Twitter users that may enjoy Google+
- Do you want a Google Plus Chat on Christmas Eve?
This week we are going to discuss supplementing Google+ with Twitter. I have noticed many people doing this very well over the last couple of months and I want to get some strategies on the table. We will also try to get a few more people involved in #googlepluschat by mentioning some active Twitter users that would enjoy Google+ as a social platform. As always, join us Tuesday at 2:00 pm est.
Questions/Discussion for December 10th, 2013
- Introduce yourself and why you are on Google+. Social, business, fun?
- What do you do for a living?
- Does Google search or advertising play a part in your life? How?
- Did you hear about Google +Post Ads? Want to know more?
- How can businesses use Google+ in ads?
- Will this lead to more businesses using Google+?
On Monday, December 10th, 2013 the Google+ team introduced Google +Post Ads. These are advertisements through Google Adwords that display Google+ posts. This allows searchers to engage on an advertisement in ways like never before. They can leave a comment, +1 and reshare the post. This is going to be enormous for business and overall reach of an advertisement. Anyone that has been late to the Google+ party for business is going to be left in the dust. Get on it now! Those using social media would likely benefit from this resource: How to Get More Customers on Google Plus.
Questions/Discussion for December 3rd, 2013
- What pages are doing a great job on Google+ and why?
- Do you have a page? Plug it
- How do you balance profile vs. page activity?
- Does your page own a community, YouTube channel, etc.?
- What tools do you use to manage and analyze your page performance?
- What ways can a business use Google+ for content marketing?
This week Stephan Hovnanian and Michael Bennett will be hosting Google Plus Chat as I will be unavailable. Stephan’s Twitter is @stephanhov and you can find more about him here. Michael’s Twitter is @MichlinMetals and you can find more about him here. Do me proud and have the largest #googlepluschat ever. Stephan will be tracking the numbers so hopefully it will be a great turnout. This is a wonderful topic that is near and dear to my heart so I am a little bit upset I am going to miss it.
Questions/Discussion for November 26th, 2013
- What are you doing for Thanksgiving? Travel? Relaxation?
- How do you connect with loved ones online via the written word?
- How do you connect via video conferencing?
- Do you use social media to consume holiday content?
- How can someone creatively use Google+ to connect during the holidays?
- How much turkey are you going to eat?
This week it is time to give thanks and talk about the holidays. It won’t be so much about Google+ but more about connecting with family and friends. Social media and the Internet has made it easier than ever to connect with people across the state, nation or even world. Join us on Tuesday at 2:00 pm est as we talk about the Thanksgiving holiday and the holiday season in general.
Questions/Discussion for November 19th, 2013
- Have you noticed Google+ posts in search results?
- On average, how many YouTube videos do you see in search results?
- Have you noticed Google+ profiles in Google Maps (Reviews)?
- Are you a Google+ Local City Expert? Know about it?
- Have you noticed any Facebook posts or Tweets in Google search?
- Do you even care about search? If so, want to learn more?
This week are are going to talk about Google integrated Google into their other services such as search, Maps and YouTube. This should be a fun discussion as it will point out one of the main reasons I feel as if Google+ will be the largest social network it the world – it is backed by Google. Users use Google to search and Google can slowly weave Google+ into search, YouTube and Maps as they are already doing. Join us at 2:00 pm est.
Questions/Discussion for November 12th, 2013
- Introduce yourself, where you are from and what you do
- Do you have an active YouTube channel? What is it?
- Where do you watch most of your YouTube videos? Mobile? Desktop? Tablet?
- Have you commented more with the Google+ integration?
- What are ways users can build an audience through YouTube with Google+ comments?
- Are Google+ comments for YouTube a bad thing?
This week’s topic is Google+ YouTube comment integration. It is amazing to see how much this has affected some of the experienced YouTubers. I think it is going to be great to help them build a larger audience but they are only seeing the negative side of it. Please join us to discuss this during Google Plus Chat on Tuesday at 2:00 pm. We are on Twitter every Tuesday at 2:00 pm est so join us. If you are looking for help with YouTube and Google Plus please use this link: Google Plus Consulting.
Questions/Discussion for November 5th, 2013
- What is the most frustrating aspect/feature of Google+?
- How would you improve this feature?
- How can Google+ improve the mobile app?
- How can Google+ improve communities?
- What should Google+ do to attract move businesses?
- If you could talk to Vic Gundotra, what would you suggest for Google+?
Google+ has made some amazing upgrades and enhancements over the last two years. Today we will be discussing some of the little things they can do to make the user experience better. Time and again Vic Gundotra and staff have listened to the users when it comes to major issues. There are still some tweaks that need to be made. Also, we will discuss some of the ways Google+ can attract the businesses, both large and small, that have yet to jump on Google+. Please join us every Tuesday at 2:00 pm est.
Questions/Discussion for October 29th, 2013
- When did you first start your commitment to Google+?
- What is the one tip you would give a brand new Google+ user?
- How did you start to build a following? A specific topic or strategy?
- Did you use communities to grow your brand? How so?
- How can new users grow communities related to business?
- Where can new Google+ users find the best people and pages to follow?
This is a week for the newbies. Every single Tuesday we get more and more new participants to Google Plus Chat. Instead of going into the more detailed discussion we are going to address some of the basics. When we first hopped on Google+ we were all trying to find a way to get our feet week. Now it is time to help others that are new to the platform. Make sure to join us on Tuesday!
Questions/Discussion for October 22nd, 2013
- What Google+ features do you use the most?
- How have you used Autoawesome photos to increase engagement?
- Have you created your own community? What is it?
- Have you used Hangouts on Air? What is the best you’ve seen?
- Do you use Soundcloud to broadcast your voice? Do you podcast at all?
- What Google+ tools are you hoping to use in the near future?
This week we are discussing all the Google+ tools that are available. Just the other day I was out and about and I started to think about all the different ways to create content on the Plus. Sometimes I just don’t have time but I do my best to create different avenues for followers to reach me. Are you using all of the different tools available on Google+?
Questions/Discussion for October 15th, 2013
- What is the most scenic area near where you live?
- Do you take photos with your smartphone (which phone)? HDR Camera?
- Do you post photos to Google+ or social media?
- What is your strategy for posting photos?
- What advice would you give to new Google Plussers posting photos?
- What is the best picture sharing online tool?
This week we are discussing photography. I have been bitten by the HDR photography bug as I realize how powerful photos are on social media. It is important to note that quality photos get much more interaction. This means photos that have been well thought out and taken with the right light and background. If you have had a photo go viral you know exactly what I mean. On #googlepluschat this week we will be discussing all things photography and sharing on social media.
Questions/Discussion for October 8th, 2013
- How long have you been using Google+ actively?
- What made you start using Google+ more?
- Are you as active or more active on Facebook or Twitter?
- What could Google do to help you use Google+ more?
- What is your one pet peeve about Google+?
- Why won’t your friends use Google+?
Today we are going to solve Google’s problems when it comes to why certain types of people will not use Google+. We will have some broad based questions but they will lead to some very interesting discussion on Twitter. If you have never joined Google Plus Chat please feel free to stop by any Tuesday at 2:00 pm est. If you are new to Twitter this is a resource that is a must: Beginners Guide to Using Twitter.
Questions/Discussion for October 1st, 2013
- What has been your most viral post on Google+?
- What niche garners the most interest for you on Google+?
- Do you find that certain posting styles work better? Which styles?
- Do you use the Dustin Stout 7 Rules?
- How do you share links on Google+?
- What is your pro tip for posting to get engagement on Google+?
This week is all about engagement within specific niches. Dustin Stout created this amazing resource on the seven tips for the most engaging Google+ post. During Google Plus Chat we will discuss ways to increase engagement and gain a following. As always, join us on Tuesday at 2:00 pm est.
Questions/Discussion for September 24th, 2013
- Introduce yourself and why you are addicted to Google+
- How many total circles do you have?
- Do you see all your circles in your stream?
- Which circle is the most important to you?
- Do you have a notification circle? How often do you notify this circle?
- How could Google improve circles?
As you can tell, this week is all about circles and using them properly. Anyone that was an early adopter to Google+ can remember just adding circles at will just to have someone to talk to. That is no longer necessary today as there are over 500 million accounts signed up for Google+. Circle management is essential as I cleaned out my circles in November of 2012 and it was one of the best Google+ decisions I made. Let’s have a fun chat at 2:00 pm est today!
Questions/Discussion for September 17th, 2013
- Where are you from and what do you do?
- What is your favorite local restaurant? Are they on social networks?
- What local business is doing well on Google+ or Twitter?
- Mention your favorite businesses on Google+ or Twitter
- What can businesses do on social media to get your attention?
- What is the most creative way to use Google+ for small business?
As you can tell, this week we are going to discuss social media for small business. Most people have a story related to a local small business and an interaction on Twitter, Google+ or Facebook. This should be a great chat to mention some of those businesses that are doing an amazing job with their social media accounts. Many companies are on Twitter and they may not be getting the most out of it. Here is how they can better use it: How restaurants can use Twitter to get business.
Questions/Discussion for September 10th, 2013
- Who introduced you to Google+?
- Who was the first influencer you engaged with on Google+?
- Who has the best communities on Google+?
- Who is the best photographer on Google+?
- Who is the best writer/content producer on Google+?
- Who is the best overall user on Google+?
This week we are talking about the best of the best. Think back to the annual in high school. Remember the most likely to succeed? Yeah, he is probably a dumpster fire now. Let’s talk about the truly successful ones! Join us at 2 pm est on Tuesday! Many that got started on Google Plus did so because of an algorithm penalty. Much more on this here: How to Recover From a Panda 4.0 Penalty.
Questions/Discussion for September 3rd, 2013
- Do you use Google+ more for business or pleasure?
- What is your business or profession?
- What unique ways have you used Google+ professionally?
- Do you find Google+ to be a professional social network? Why or why not?
- Pimp your website, business or service. Links welcome
- Are you part of the Google Plus for Small Business Community?
This week we are talking the professional aspects of Google+. I often equate Google+ to LinkedIn messed with Facebook with a slice of Twitter and Pinterest baked in. It can be whatever you want it to be but it seems to be a mature audience that is looking to build relationships. Those relationships lead to business transactions and so forth. Both Stephan Hovnanian and myself have noticed an uptick in small business engagement lately which is why we are discussing this topic during Google Plus Chat on September 3rd.
Questions/Discussion for August 27th, 2013
- How long have you been on Twitter vs Google+?
- How much do you post to Twitter vs Google+?
- Mention one friend on Twitter that should join Google+ chat
- Mention one local celebrity you would like to see on Google+
- Mention a national celebrity you would like to see on Google+
- What can Google+ do to get the entertainment crowd to live update
Not too long ago we did a Google Plus Chat that mentioned some bigger celebrities. We are going to try something similar with a new slant. I will pose a few questions about both Google+ and Twitter and then we will get into the mentions of some of the names on Twitter that would work well with Google+ or on Google Plus Chat. Join us on Tuesday at 2:00 pm est. Those new to Twitter will likely want to get traffic to their website. Here is a great resource on just that: How to Generate Website Traffic From Twitter.
Questions/Discussion for August 20th, 2013
- Introduce yourself and one non business related interest of yours
- What percentage of your Google+ posts are non business related?
- Are you seeing more fun and interesting Google+ posts in your stream?
- What can Google do to get more “fun” posts by users?
- Is Google+ still too business oriented?
- How many active users does Google+ have right now? Make a prediction
Today is going to be unique in that it is fun and interesting day on Google Plus Chat. We are going to talk all things not related to business. For most social networks to thrive there needs to be some fun involved. That’s why YouTube is a beast and Twitter is the second screen during live events. Join us at 2:00 pm eastern on August 20th.
Questions/Discussion for August 13th, 2013
- What Google apps do you use on your phone? Maps, GMail, YouTube, Plus?
- Do you prefer and iPhone or Android phone?
- How often do you use the Google+ app per week?
- What do you use most on the Google+ app?
- Do you use other social networking apps on your phone?
- How could Google improve the Google+ app?
I think you understand what the topic of discussion will be today. I recently saw a graphic showing that Google owned three of the top for smartphone apps with Maps (1), YouTube (2), and Google+ (4). Facebook was #3. It was a shock to see more people using the Google+ than the Twitter or Instagram app. We will discuss this and more during Google Plus Chat today. Please join us on Twitter. You can even use your Twitter app or your iPhone or Android phone.
Questions/Discussion for August 6th, 2013
- How did you find out about Google Plus Chat?
- How long have you participated in Google Plus Chat?
- What has been your favorite Google Plus Chat discussion?
- What is the one nugget you can remember getting from Google Plus Chat?
- Do you promote Google Plus Chat?
- How can we make Google Plus Chat better?
This week we are talking about Google Plus chat. A Google Plus Chat about Google Plus Chat. We have been doing this since April 2013 and I know plenty of people that have jumped on board with us lately. I would like to learn a lot more about you and how you are digesting the information from the chat. If you want to take a bigger role with Google Plus Chat please let me know and I will be more than happy to allow you to do some unique marketing opportunities with the chat. We have grown leaps and bounds since those first few chats when it was basically a handful of us. Let’s get this party started. Be on Twitter at 2:00 pm est on Tuesday August 6th, 2013 and use the hashtag #googlepluschat.
One of the reason many people are on Twitter, Google Plus or any other social media website is to rank a business. If you want to rank a business it likely takes content and hiring a writer is not a bad idea. Here is a resource on just that: Hire a Content Writer for SEO.
Questions/Discussion for July 30th, 2013
- What is your highlight of the week from Google+?
- Have you noticed growth in your following?
- Have you noticed growth in your communities?
- What are you doing to expand your presence?
- Are you pleased with your personal growth on Google+?
- What can Google+ do to help you?
This week is all about you! As most of you know, part of my strategy on Google+ is to help you figure out how to use the product and reach a broad audience. If you have any further questions or comments related to Google Plus Chat, Google+ in general or you just want to hang out, feel free to join the Google Plus Chat Twitter Community here.
Twitter and Google Plus Cross Promotion
Connecting the dots with Google Plus and Twitter can be very difficult. Google Plus has a user base that absolutely loves to have long, drawn out conversations that get get to hundreds of comments. Twitter is a very short and quick communication tool. Even after amassing over 200,000 followers I am still finding it difficult to encourage cross promotion in any way. That is one of the main reasons that I created Google Plus Chat with Lauren Sutton. As this group continues to grow it is my vision that it gets large enough to where Twitter and Google Plus can not only coexist but can each be used for different reasons.
In my short experience with Twitter I have noticed that live events are much easier with the Twitter app on a smartphone. While I would love to “live plus” these events it seems easier to just open Twitter, express my feelings and be done. With Google Plus we are more inclined to write a long analysis of the event. I have noticed this quite a bit with sports. Within my Google Plus college football community there are some amazing conversations but very few that would ever fit in a Tweet. Maybe we can connect the dots over the next few months and figure out how we can use both of these social platforms together to reach the largest audience possible.
The Growth of Google Plus Chat
When I started Google Plus Chat with Lauren Sutton back in April of 2013 I had the vision this chat would get to the point in which any question would see a stream of updates with said hashtag. I have been in Twitter chats where the moderator will ask a question which will cause hundreds of Tweets. I knew this would take time as there were not a ton of people on Google Plus that were actively using Twitter to cross market their content. Growing a readership has always been a goal of mine so I was more than happy to give it a shot.
It was very difficult to get Google Plus chat off the ground. When I first started I met Michael Bennett, Sean Murray and Stephan Hovnanian on there and we created a very strong friendship. For the most part, we have been a mainstay on Google Plus Chat from the beginning. In fact, Michael hosted a Google Plus Chat one Tuesday in which I was smacking the white ball into the woods. After a few months we are starting to gain traction. Every single week I see about three or four new faces. Much of this is because Peg Fitzpatrick sat down and had a Hangout on Air strategy session on Google Plus. Please click the link to watch the video.
Since this strategy session and Peg pushing it out to her audience on both Twitter and Google Plus we have noticed huge growth. Two weeks ago there were over 625 tweets using the hashtag #googlepluschat in a 30 minute time frame. This is enormous for a small chat that started up in April of this year. I have no idea how much Google Plus Chat will continue to grow but it has turned into a free for all every Tuesday at 2:00 pm est. If you have never joined just hop in and say “hi” with the hashtag.